9/10/14

WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS: Top Five Vampire Flicks



Growing up, watching vampire movies - I made up a special rule; vampire movies all get an automatic two stars, and can work up from there. Reason is, it's tough being a vampire movie!  You got so much working against you; the trappings of superstition, pop culture, and a minefield of cliches to navigate. That, and there are a LOT of bad vampire films.  However, I happen to LOVE vampires, and can't get enough of them.

This year's What We Do In The Shadows  looks to be an amusingly "dead" pan take - something that will definitely stand out in a long tradition of vampire movies.

So here's my top five vampire films, with honourable mentions below!



Let The Right One In (2008)
Okay, this may be painfully obvious to those that have seen it, but what about those that didn't? I highly recommend this film, as it's not just a great vampire movie - it's a great movie!



Shadow Of The Vampire (2000)
Willem Dafoe is transcendent! A truly lifelike performance of someone who is most likely undead.

Downton Abbey, Undead Edition

Interview With The Vampire (1994)
I feel like this one gets a lot of undeserved hate.  I'm a fan of the original story - AND I think the scale of this movie is massive, beautifully shot, just a big, sweeping story… and Kirsten Dunst is amazing.

In a remake, this could be a boy band. Still, buy the soundtrack!


The Lost Boys (1987)
Yeah, how could I not include this? If you haven't seen it, this one's got something for everyone; a real snap shot of the 80s.

The Arrughhhhh!


Fright Night (1985)
The original. While I wasn't crazy about it the first time, a recent screening opened my eyes to its cult brilliance. For me, it's all about Evil Ed.

Here's a whack of other vampire movies I enjoyed, but I don't want to crash the server!  I know there can be some strong arguments for a few of these, but really, would you want any vampire fan to miss the above movies?

The Night Flier, Stake Land, Innocent Blood, Byzantium, Near Dark, The Addiction, Mr. Vampire, Monster Squad, Dracula (dir: Todd Browning), Bram Stoker's Dracula, From Dusk Til Dawn, Only Lovers Left Alive, Nosferatu, Lost Highway (when I first saw I swore they were vamps!), Daybreakers, Blade series, Martin, Salem's lot, John Carpenter's Vampires, 30 Days of Night, Cronos, Vamp

Let me know what I missed!

And don't you miss What We Do In The Shadows (2014) playing this year at Midnight Madness!

WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS screening times:
Fri., Sept. 12th, 11:59 PM, RYERSON
Sat., Sept. 13th, 9:30 PM, SCOTIABANK 12
Sun., Sept. 14th, 3:45 PM, SCOTIABANK 3

No comments:

Post a Comment