9/13/13

Spend More Time In HELL With Us

Keep that camera rolling, or else!

In what's looking to be one of the more insane contributions this year, Japanese director Sion Sono (Suicide Club (2001), Cold Fish (2010) opens up a pandora's box of blood, blades and gun smoke with Why Don't You Play In Hell.


I just received a mysterious email with a bit of insider info about this particular film's screening…    

I've got to be careful as I write this.  A trace could already be in effect.  I think I'm being watched, so if this is my last post, I love you mom!

Apparently--both Venice film festival is screening shorter versions of the film.

One of the best things about going to MM is that you get to see things not only first - but sometimes the only time EVER before watch dogs get to it.



You can see Mr. Sono's unabridged vision!

Let's recall a sad fan day from my life:   I bought  Takeshi Miike's Ichi the Killer (2001) on a huge honk'n VHS (beautiful clamshell, for what it's worth) only to discover that it was a completely different version than I had seen at Midnight Madness.  I'm talking the Coles notes of the original gore.  How disappointing when I wanted to show my friends - although that probably preserved some friendships as they had no idea the sick stuff they were missing.

Even single frames can make a huge difference in the experience of a film.  Directors talk about fighting for frames all the time.  That extra bit of blood, that extra glare of emotion, and it's not uncommon for different territories to have different versions tailored to their demographic.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, right?

So just how many extra frames are we talking here?  Well… 

Approximately 10,080 extra frames. 

That's 24 frames per second, for a grand total of 7 MORE MINUTES OF CHAOS... only at Midnight Madness!  

Will that be extra plot? Credits? Extra FX? Comedy bits?  

There's only one way to know for sure.  And no time machine, or cryogenic stasis field is required to see the definitive release of Why Don't You Play in Hell.   See it first at Midnight Madness in ALL its glory!



Friday, Sept 13th, 11:59 PM RYERSON
Saturday, Sept 14th, 3:45 PM SCOTIABANK 1



No comments:

Post a Comment